You are hereHistory and architecture

History and architecture


Rab, Ferienwohnungen,povijest, crkve, svjetski rat, sv. KristoforKliknite ovdje za više fotografija

Urlaub Ferienwohnung appartamento vacanze apartman apartma Rab Urlaub Ferienwohnung appartamento vacanze apartman apartma Rab Urlaub Ferienwohnung appartamento vacanze apartman apartma Rab Urlaub Ferienwohnung appartamento vacanze apartman apartma Rab Urlaub Ferienwohnung appartamento vacanze apartman apartma Rab Urlaub Ferienwohnung appartamento vacanze apartman apartma Rab Urlaub Ferienwohnung appartamento vacanze apartman apartma Rab Urlaub Ferienwohnung appartamento vacanze apartman apartma Rab Urlaub Ferienwohnung appartamento vacanze apartman apartma Rab Urlaub Ferienwohnung appartamento vacanze apartman apartma Rab Urlaub Ferienwohnung appartamento vacanze apartman apartma Rab Urlaub Ferienwohnung appartamento vacanze apartman apartma Rab Urlaub Ferienwohnung appartamento vacanze apartman apartma Rab Rab's present character and appeal shows signs of his painful and glorious past. Illyrian Liburni are the oldest inhabitants of the island from the 4th century BC. Rab was called Arba, Arbia, Arbiana i Arbitana until the 7th centry AD when Slavic Croats gave the current name – RAB. The island was ruled by many rulers. After the defeat of the Liburnian Greeks 365 years BC, the island was rulled by Greek Dionisie younger. 228 years BC, the Adriatic coast and islands, including the island of Rab, was taken over by the Romans. The Roman emperor Octavian Augustus gave the town of Rab the status of Municipium or the status of an independent administration. Rab, Ferienwohnungen,povijest, crkve, svjetski rat, sv. KristoforThe city of Rab had its own constitution, the town council, city treasurer, a priest and the City Council. Numerous temples, decorated squares and streets, beaches and the sewage system date from that period. Rab gest its name of Felix (happy) at that time indicating that the town of Rab was highly developed and became "Little Rome". Rab developed the most in the 2nd and 3rd century BC during the reign of Emperor Antoninus. From 493 to 544 DC Rab was dominated by the eastern Goths state under the ruling of King Theodoric. With the fall of the eastern Goths state Rab came under the ruling of Byzantium. The Slavs took over in the 6th and 7th century. It is believed that the Slavs came to Rab after the death of Emperor Mauritius in the year 604 DC. This is when the island got its Slavic name RAB. The Byzantine emperors renewed Roman buildings on the island in the 8th century and established the island as an autonomous municipality with church authorities so that Rab got its first bishop. Rab was part of an independent Croatian state in the 9th and 10th century under the rule of Prince Branimir (879th-892th). After that the first Croatian king Tomislav takes over in 925 when the island was under Byzantine rule but then they  become and integral part of the Croatian kingdom. Rab maintained the autonomy of a municipality during this period.

Rab, Ferienwohnungen,povijest, crkve, svjetski rat, sv. KristoforVenice tries to occupy the island on two occasions the the early 11th century. During the reign of Petar Kresimir IV (1058-1073) Rab is an integral part of the Kingdom of Dalmatia and Croatia. The legend of St. Christopher who became the patron of the town and island of Rab dates from that period. Italic Normans attacked the island on the 14th of April 1075 by sea. The inhabitants had called St. Christopher for help and took his head and holy relics to the city wall. It is believed that the Normans fled on the 9th of May 1075 due to that. In memory of that event Rab celebrates the Day of victory and the Day of the City Rab on May 9th. The patron of the island is officially celebrated during the Rabska fiera between July 25th and 27th. 

Various rulers reign until 15th century. First there were Arpadovci (King Koloman, King Bela IV) and Angevins (King Louis the Great) who liberated Dalmatia from the Venetians in the 1358th. Venice took over the island ithe the early 15th century they ruled until their fall in 1793. Rab was under Venetian rule until May 12th 1797 when Napoleon abolished the Venetian Republic.

Rab, Ferienwohnungen,povijest, crkve, svjetski rat, sv. KristoforAustro-Hungarians and Napoleon alternated their authority over Dalmatia between 1797 and 1913 until Napoleon's defeat in 1813. Dalmatia including the island of Rab was under the Austro-Hungarians until 1918. Rab was under the Kingdom of Italy from 1918 to 1921 and under the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovens from 1921 to 1941. Rab was occupied by Italy and Germany during the WWII from 1941 to 1944 and became part of SFR Jugoslavija from 1945 to 1990. Rab belongs to the autonomous and independent Republic of Croatia since 1991.

Traces of the Island's tumultous history make part of its architecture, tradition and folklore. All of it represents and interesting and rich tourist offer on the island.

HISTORIC ARCHITECTURE

  • THE CHURCH OF ST. MARY – Built in Romanesque style as an aisled basilica with three apses in the 12th century. It was consecrated in 1177 by pope Alexander III.
  • THE BELFRY OF ST. MARY'S CHURCH – This 26 meteres high structure is one of the most beautiful structures of this kind in the Adriatic, built in Romanesque style at the end of the 12th century and the begining of the 13th century.
  • Rab, Ferienwohnungen,povijest, crkve, svjetski rat, sv. KristoforTHE NUNNERY OF ST. ANTONY – Founded by Magdalena Budrusic in 1499.
  • THE CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW  – It was built in 1020 as an aisled basilica and is now a Benedictines nunnery. The belfry of St. Andrew's is the oldest of the four Rab belfires.
  • THE CHURCH OF ST. JUSTINE - It was built together with the Benedictines nunnery in 1573-1578 bz the commoners. The nunnery was abolished in 1808. The belfry of the church was built about a hundred years later and is one of the youngest of the four Rab belfires.  
  • RUINS OF THE CHURCH AND CONVENT OF ST. JOHN THE EVANGELIST- The church and the belfry were bult in the 10th and 11th centuries and fell to ruin in the late 19th century. The 12th century belfry was the only part that survived and resemles St. Andrew's belfry.
  • THE CHURCH OF ST. CHISTOPHER - At the end of the "upper" street there is the church of St. Christopher and the remains of the fortress towers of St. Christopher and Gagliardi. Both were built by Venetians in the 15th century. Today the church is a Lapidary and a museum.
  • THE MONASTERY OF ST. EUPHEMIA – The Franciscan monastery is situated at the end of the bay bearing the same name in the area of Kampor was built in 1444 together with two other churches. The older smaller church St. Euphemia dates from the 13th century. The "younger" Cothic basilica St. Bernardine was built by a count Petar de Zaro and remodeled in the 17th and 18th century reconstruction when teh Gothic windows were replaced by Baroque ones..
  • THE CHURCH OF ST. PETER – This church is located in the area of Supetarska Draga and is the oldest preserved church on the island built in 1059. By the church are the ruins of the former Benedictine abbey. It was built as an aisled basilica.
  • THE DOMINIS-NIMIRA PALACE - At the entrance of the town in the central street is one of the finest medieval buildings in Renaissance style built in the 15th century.
  • NIMIRA PALACE – The Gothic portal and coat of arms of the nobel family Nimira are preserved from this 16th century palace.
  • THE DUKE'S PALACE – The construction of the palace started as early as 13th century, but its most characteristic parts date from the 15th and 16th century. It is dominated by the high rectangular tower with beautiful Venetian Gothic and Renaissance windows.  The Duke's palace is now the Oggice of the Town of Rab and the Town Hall.
  • Rab, Ferienwohnungen,povijest, crkve, svjetski rat, sv. KristoforCITY's LOGGIA - A square shaped building in the Renaissance style built in 1509. In addition to the lodge is a small church of st. Spirit. The lodge was the center of public life until 1797.
  • PRAVDOJE BELIJA – ( 1853-1925 ) In appreciation and gratitude the peopole of Rab errected a monument at the entrance to the park Komrčar to Pravdoje Belija in 1974. He was responsible for reforestation of some parts of the island, rt. Frkanj and park Komrčar.
  • MARKANTUN DE DOMINIS - ( 1560 – 1624 ) . He was born in the Dominis-Nimira palace and was Senj's bishop and archbishop of Split, a church writer and physicist and is considered  to be the most famous person on the island of Rab. The bronze monument in his honor was placed in front of his native house in 1994.
  • CHURCH ST. CROSS - This church was built in the 13th century but its present style dates from the 16th century. The church holds musical evenings during the summer.  
  • CHURCH ST. DAMIAN - The remains of the 12th century  church of St. Damina .st. indicate the former Roman Kolentum. The remains of this church are located in the area of Barbat on a hill 223 meter above the city of Barbat accessible by a mouintain hiking route. It is assumed that the ruins of St. Damian are the remains of military camps and settlements which were built by the Greek Dionesie younger.
  • TOWN CLOCK – The clock tower was built at the same time as the city lodge. The clock in the tower continues to chow time.
  • BAKOTA PALACE - The palace has preserved its palace wall with a portal bult in Venetian Gothic style
  • ST. ANTHONY CHAPEL -  This chapel is located between "central" steet and "lower" street in front of the Dominis palace and was built in 1675.
  • CHURCH ST. FRANCIS – Located near the city cemetery. The facade is built in the Gothic style.

 

Share this

Maps of Rab

Map of the island of Rab Map of the town of Rab

Ferry Web Cam with Timetable

Misnjak Ferry Port Jablanac Ferry PortFerry Timetable